Friday, June 22, 2007

Recycled Cards

My dear sweet grandma just turned 100 years old this past February. She has suffered from crippling arthritis in her legs for many years, which has forced her to be in a wheelchair and live in an assisted living facility . . . not a nursing home . . . just assisted living. Not bad for 100 years old. My sweet little grandma has worked so hard all her life and her body just doesn't want to work no more . . . but her mind is sharp as a tack. I am proud to say that my grandma crochets baby blankets, hats, and booties for the little babies being born in the hospitals and her senior's group also makes recycled cards.

They take old donated cards and cut out the pictures or the verse with pinking shears and paste it on a new card front. The back of the card is stamped showing that it was made by volunteers in her senior's group. The cards are then given to various seniors throughout her community so they can send out greeting cards to their loved ones. She has done this for a number of years and is still able to make 15-20 cards per night. I thought it might be fun to make a couple of recycled cards myself. I found some old cards that I have received from friends and family in the past and did my own version of the recycled card.

I made these cards using the Crate Paper "Samantha" line of paper. The images were from recycled cards that I punched out with my mega punch and adhered them on a giga scalloped circle that I used white marker to make the dots. The sentements are from amuse. I am going to send them to my grandma so that she can pass them on to her group of card recipients.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I am going to my friend Paris' house tonight for a wonderful stamping, eating, and talking evening.

Pegi

5 comments:

Pat S. said...

Thanks for sharing with us about your grandmother...she sounds just like my great-great-aunt (she always said 2 greats :). She was sharp as a tack all the way to 99.

That is a terrific idea, with the recycle cards. I'm going to suggest it to my stamp club.

Taylor said...

Your grandma sounds like such a sweet lady! Love the cards you made! Hope you have fun at Paris' tonight!

Jan Scholl said...

wouldnt that cat be adorable as a stamp image? I have a part siamese/part himilayan and she has that look about her.

Sheila said...

Fantastic cards Pegi and how lovely to hear about your grandmother......I hope I am still making cards when I am 100.

LindaB said...

Love this concept! Need to look at my stashed cards a little closer!

http://celebrationmoments.typepad.com/